23 November 2009

Apple Cider Chicken

We were down to the last of our apple cider and I wanted to try something other than a dessert or bread or donut to use it up. Something for dinner. I found this recipe by Sunny Anderson on Food Network. It had good reviews (unlike the mess of recipes that is Sandra Lee) and the idea of combining apples and onions intrigued me. We all loved the finished dish...so I guess I'll be buying more apple cider so that I can make it again. :) Big hit!

You will need:

2T oil
2T butter (Smart Balance)
4-6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (I cut mine into thirds)
salt and pepper
1 small onion, chopped however you prefer
1 Granny Smith apple, sliced
2 tsp garlic
2 bay leaves
2 tsp thyme (optional--I didn't use it)
2T flour
1 1/2 cups apple cider (I used just a cup because some monkey drank the rest)



Put the 2T of oil in a large skillet and add the chicken. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and cook on medium heat for four minutes on each side.



Then remove chicken to a plate and set aside.



Add the 2T of butter, the apple slices, and the onion to the pan.



Top it with the garlic and bay leaves. Stir.



Keep stirring until the apple and onion start to color, about 5 minutes on medium heat.



Sprinkle with 2T of flour and stir for 2 minutes.



Place chicken back into the pan and pour on the apple cider.



Bring to a boil, cover, and reduce heat to a simmer. Cook for 12 minutes.



Spoon some of the yummy sauce over the chicken before serving. The apples and onions are incredibly delicious together. Just the right about of sweet and savory. When I make it again I might add a couple of shakes of salt while the sauce and chicken cooks. YUM!!



Enjoy!!

my recipe card:

Apple Cider Chicken

See Apple Cider Chicken on Key Ingredient.

No comments: